Agency B questions

HOME Forum General Questions Agency B questions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Heather Jenson
      Participant

I don’t understand when he stated that once we are an agent, it isn’t advisable to represent yourself in buying a for sale by owner property? As a real estate agent I want to buy properties for flips with my husband. Am I not able to buy homes? I should have an agent represent me, is this what section 3a. of guidelines for real estate agents acting as a fiduciary means?

Brian Swan
      Keymaster

Great question, Heather.

Legally, you may absolutely represent yourself in buying or selling homes. There is no legal issue whatsoever. And most agents do so.

What I was saying during the course is that from a legal perspective, it’s not always the smartest thing to do. When we represent ourselves, our own emotions and confirmation biases can cloud our judgment in the transaction. Additionally, there are more legal pitfalls to maneuver around. As the saying in the legal profession goes: “The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client,” in other professional occupations, such as real estate, some agents feel the same way. But it’s totally up to you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
IMPORTANT: For a better learning experience, please switch to a new browser.

It looks like you are using Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge as your browser. In order to ensure your progress is tracked correctly, please download and use either Google Chrome or Firefox.